Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator Four Rings Anthony's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Post My review of the AWE Tuning B8 A4 2.0T Exhaust - finally!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

Review: AWE Tuning's B8 A4 2.0T Exhaust

Of all the cars I've owned, and all of the aftermarket exhausts I've put on those cars, I believe this is my first one made by AWE Tuning. Pretty surprising really, since the company has been around longer than I've been owning and modifying Audis. In fact, I remember them quite well from the research I did back in my B5 A4 days. They've always stood for high quality, well designed, expertly crafted go-fast parts. Since they were one of the very first US-based tuners to offer an exhaust for the B8 A4 2.0T, I didn't balk at the chance to run their system. I knew that both myself, and the car, would be in good hands.

Being one of the initial testers of this new AWE downpipe-back system, I was tapped for my feedback. Visually, my first impression was that the parts were top notch. The fit and finish, both brand new out of the box as well as all this time later, was and still is extremely good. It rates at the top echelon amongst all of the previous exhausts I've ran. The pieces fit together perfectly and as intended. It's a very modular system, and highly adjustable. I especially like that even the tips can be placed to allow for your own personal preference of visual appearance from the backside. Straight aligned or staggered. Recessed or more pronounced. It's your call. None of the exhausts I've owned prior have offered this level of adjustability.

I decided to go for 'the full monty', dual mufflers with two tips each. IE: quad tips. There is of course another option for those wanting to be a tad more subtle - half the mufflers and therefore half the tips. The later option will work with all 2.0T sedans, while the route I went with requires both an S line rear bumper and S4 valence. Other rear bumper and valence options are available though so it's not too terribly difficult to achieve the look you want with your B8 sedan or Avant.

Huge kudos go to the good folks at my local shop, Streetwerke, for their knowledge, expertise, and lift. They made the testing of the AWE exhaust all the more easy, and their help was invaluable. Darren and Aaron, shop owner and wrench god respectively, aided in several installs through the test phase of the exhaust, getting measurements and feedback to Todd and the team at AWE. I'd like to think that we lent at least a small hand in what turned out to be a great all-around exhaust upgrade for the A4.

Something we discovered to be quite unique to the new B8 platform, is what I affectionately call the "drone-zone". This zone falls between 2,800 and 3,000 RPM and seems to be most apparent on the automatic (Tiptronic). This is where, under load, the engine loves to grunt out loud like a constipated banshee. The noise doesn't seem to be as bad the manual because that RPM range isn't one you want to stay in. The engine really comes alive after 3,000 RPM so one will typically row right past it. For fuel conservation purposes, the standard automatic mode in the 6-speed Tiptronic stays in that lower RPM range, which is why I like to keep the Tip in "S" (AKA: Sport) mode.

The most current production version of the AWE exhaust takes this into account, and has a mid-resonator tuned to eliminate drone as much as possible - certainly much more than the first few systems we tried. In my opinion though, this is an aftermarket sport exhaust. We don't upgrade from the stock system for a quiet inaudible sound. Added noise comes with the territory, and with that comes increased horsepower. I'm not paying money for an aftermarket exhaust system that looks this aggressive if it doesn't scare the stockings off of old ladies as I drive by! Drone-zone aside, this exhaust really comes alive at the top of the power band and in-between WOT shifts. As a great aftermarket exhaust on a turbocharged Audi A4 should, this baby doesn't sound like a 4-banger! She's now reserved when you want her to be, and a beast when the time's right.

I unfortunately did not dyno the car in complete stock form, but will be doing some pulls in the coming weeks with the AWE exhaust in place, both with and without an upgraded software tune. I will update this article with dyno graphs once I have them.

Please enjoy the wealth of photos taken from my recent photo shoot. Here you can see the AWE quad tip exhaust system at all angles, shown with a color-matched Ibis White S4 rear valence.

Here also is video which includes both interior driving footage as well as launches from outside the vehicle...

If you have any additional questions about my personal experience with the system just let me know as I'd be happy to answer them. If you have technical related questions, I'll do my best to answer those as well, but I'm sure AWE would be happy to help as well. They were always very responsive to me during the testing phase and still now after the fact, so send them an email or give them a call.

AWE Tuning
    2385-C Maryland Rd.
    Willow Grove, PA 19090
    [email protected]
    1 (888) 565-2257

Happy tuning, fellow enthusiasts!

Full Article
    Article Photo Gallery

Active Member Four Rings B6JoeS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

so do you get it for free?

Veteran Member Four Rings aznpxdd's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Alpine White BMW X1 (China)

Let me share a couple shots of the exhaust on my car if ya don't mind, Anthony.

-Jeff

2009 Ibis White A4 2.0T

Gloss Black Grille | CF Filler Plate | 19x8.5" Dark Gunmetal VMR v701's | Black Calipers | ST Coilovers
    OSIR Trunk Spoiler| H&R 5mm Spacers | 5k DS3 HID's | Luminics Fogs | VAG-Com | Silver CF Interior | K&N Intake
    Painted Front Splitter | Gloss Black Roof | Hardwired V1 | OSIR CF Rear Valence | AWE Quad Tip Exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by aznpxdd View Post
    Let me share a couple shots of the exhaust on my car if ya don't mind, Anthony.
    Don't mind at all, especially considering the close-up shot is one I didn't get! Love that top one.

Veteran Member Four Rings MiracleWhips's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice writeup Anthony.

I agree with your assessment that the AWE system is not 100% drone free, but probably as close as any Tiptronic B8 exhaust system will ever be while retaining the performance aspect. The improvement of the exhaust note versus stock is very noticeable, but still very classy.

Being one of AWE's other initial customers with this product, I can say that a lot of time and attention was put into this product to make it right. While the road to the final production system may have been frustrating a times, I never felt "stonewalled" by Todd and his crew.

The fit and finish of this system received nothing but high marks from my local tuner shop as well.
    APR II+ / STaSIS 23mm RARB / AWE FMIC & Exhaust / Eurocode IP / Carbonio / 034 HFC & TIP / 20% Tint / S5 Mirrors / Rotiform MIAs 19x8.5 / Hankook 255/35 / H&R Avant Sport Springs / RS6 Pedals / Hoen Fogs /Stoneguards / ecodes / A4L Fog grills

Active Member Four Rings Blake P's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great review and pics, Anthony. I lub my A.W.E. exhaust. Tips=cylinders FTW!
    2017 Q7 2.0T: premium plus, graphite grey, black leather, black/grey oak wood, 20" 10 spoke wheels
    Options: black headliner, vision, driver assistance, warm weather packages

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
    Great review and pics, Anthony. I lub my A.W.E. exhaust. Tips=cylinders FTW!
    Quad Gang :D
    -Jeff

2009 Ibis White A4 2.0T

Gloss Black Grille | CF Filler Plate | 19x8.5" Dark Gunmetal VMR v701's | Black Calipers | ST Coilovers
    OSIR Trunk Spoiler| H&R 5mm Spacers | 5k DS3 HID's | Luminics Fogs | VAG-Com | Silver CF Interior | K&N Intake
    Painted Front Splitter | Gloss Black Roof | Hardwired V1 | OSIR CF Rear Valence | AWE Quad Tip Exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A6

Would you say you had some gains in hp/tq from this setup? Seems like you put a lot of time into this write up and could give us an honest opinion of if the butt dyno felt any changes?

Veteran Member Four Rings ThePiombino's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Great write-up, Anthony! And big ups to you and Blake for pretty much being the guinea pigs on this one. You guys did all the hard work and once you both pretty much agreed that the system was about as good as it was going to get I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Didn't go quad, but did go duel, single-tip. Haven't looked back since! Thanks, guys!
    09 A4 2.0T Quattro - Tip - Black/Black /// MODS: APR Stage II+ | AWE CB Exhaust | 034 HFC l EC HFIC Pipe | Forge DV Spacer | 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Interior Trim | 3M Chrome Grille Trim | SG Supreme 28 | Debadged | Fly Eyes Kit (f&r) | Needle Sweep | Window/Moonroof control w/Keyfob | Seat Belt Chime Disabled | "Wink" Disabled | Double Unlock "Beep"

Active Member Four Rings Okan509's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice write up! I learned a few things, thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Kavan View Post
    Would you say you had some gains in hp/tq from this setup? Seems like you put a lot of time into this write up and could give us an honest opinion of if the butt dyno felt any changes?
    There are absolutely gains with a higher flowing aftermarket exhaust over stock, but typically not enough to be physically felt. Power gains are generally no more than 5-10 HP/TQ.

Performance exhausts are always more of an emotional thing, based off of the audible improvements and enhancements to the engine. Pair that with a proper ECU tune though, and you have a match made in heaven, one you'll both hear and feel.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ThePiombino View Post
    And big ups to you and Blake for pretty much being the guinea pigs on this one. You guys did all the hard work and once you both pretty much agreed that the system was about as good as it was going to get I went ahead and pulled the trigger.
    There were actually three guinea pigs to my knowledge......
    APR II+ / STaSIS 23mm RARB / AWE FMIC & Exhaust / Eurocode IP / Carbonio / 034 HFC & TIP / 20% Tint / S5 Mirrors / Rotiform MIAs 19x8.5 / Hankook 255/35 / H&R Avant Sport Springs / RS6 Pedals / Hoen Fogs /Stoneguards / ecodes / A4L Fog grills

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by MiracleWhips View Post
    There were actually three guinea pigs to my knowledge......
    Guinea pigs or overeager mod-hounds!?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Video is done!

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Nice vid!
    -Jeff

2009 Ibis White A4 2.0T

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Thanks, Jeff. While my new boom mic cuts down on the wind noise and distortion, I do need to figure how to turn the sensitivity up, or increase the sound levels when exporting the video.

Veteran Member Four Rings Ryan_T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 2.0T

That white S-Line valance is the sexiest I've seen of any and all S B8 rear by far.

I was gonna get Votex rear with dual exhaust or OSiR CF Quad....but now....

What are you doing to me, Anthony??!
    Ryan - flickr

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_T View Post
    That white S-Line valance is the sexiest I've seen of any and all S B8 rear by far.

I was gonna get Votex rear with dual exhaust or OSiR CF Quad....but now....

What are you doing to me, Anthony??!
    Thanks. Doesn't seem to be for everyone though, and personally I could go either way. It's such a sexy ass that it's hard to mess it up.

If I was to do it again, I wouldn't have painted the very furthermost underside lip/edge. It wouldn't be an issue on a darker color, but on anything light, that should be left unpainted.

Veteran Member Four Rings Ryan_T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 2.0T

You mean the deepest level of cut/indent? Cause the meeting between the bumper and the valance's top level surfaces in white is very slick. The second level where the exhaust cutouts can be easier to maintain in darker colours, I suppose. My bumper get more stained on the area where the hot exhaust hits.
    Ryan - flickr

AZ Member #

Anthony,

The vids from inside sound just about how my avant does. This helps me feel more satisfied with the end result of this "journey".

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_T View Post
    You mean the deepest level of cut/indent? Cause the meeting between the bumper and the valance's top level surfaces in white is very slick. The second level where the exhaust cutouts can be easier to maintain in darker colours, I suppose. My bumper get more stained on the area where the hot exhaust hits.
    The bit seen underneath the car, in the center going towards the front end.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TDI Sedan

Great review! Wish they had something for TDI

Veteran Member Four Rings littlewhite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

nice write up! Love the ride in white!
    Littlewhite

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

Thanks, guys!

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Thanks, guys!
    I think we should be thanking YOU for everything - great site, reviews, articles, posts... Then again this site has caused my bank account to dwindle, but I wouldn't have it any other way
    2013 6MT S5 - Monsoon/Black
    Prem+ | Sport diff | Adaptive dampers | Nav | B&O
    Res AWE exhaust | USP intake | USS Sways | OEM 19" speedline | AluKreuz | 034 Trans mount | Interior LED | VCDS tweaks | F1 tint | Xpel PPF

Previous : 2009 6MT A4 | Quartz/Black | Prem+ 2001 5MT A4 | Silver/Black | Premium pkg

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2009 A4 2.0T Sedan

I do feel bad about that, but then on the other hand I enjoy spreading the bug!

Veteran Member Four Rings Greg Nelson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 3.0 (Wife's Ride)

Anthony,
    Just watched/listened to the video - awesome
    On I-280 in Cupertino?
    As a 3.2 owner
    I'll email AWE tomorrow re possible custom dual-tip (left/right) fabrication.
    Streetwerke in Palo Alto is close by me.
    Cheers
    2009 3.2L Sedan BB/Beige. VMR V710 Gunmetal 19" Rims. Exterior Chrome Trim painted Quartz Grey. LED ROW tail lights. KW V1. H&R RSB. StopTech PosiQuiet Pads, Painted Calipers. HOEN Xenon Match Fog Lamps. Fog Grilles converted to S-Line look. Stone Guards. FCA Rear Diffuser. LED interior lights, cup holder lights & door pocket lights. RS4 Pedals. Remus Mufflers.

Active Member Two Rings Stasbon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sorry for bumping up this thread, but I am about to install the AWE quad tip exhaust together with AWE downpipe and want to get some feedback on the drone and generally sound quality/any comments on the sound.
    For the moment I have the testpipe installed with Revo St2 ECU tune.

Would be great to hear from you or get the links to video clips, as what I could find on youtube does not fully satisfy me. The thing is that I am a few days from payment for the exhaust and want to be sure or at least get maximum information about it

Thx in advance!
    A4 B8.5 2013 2.0 quattro - Revo St.2 // Eurocode Rotamass lightweight pulley // aFe Power Pro Dry S // AWE quad outlet exhaust with AWE DP // Bilstein B6+H&R -35, H&R Swaybars // Rays Sportec Mono 10 Premium R19 // Interior & Exterior mods

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Josh/AWE's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stasbon, have you seen our product video of this system? Definitely worth a watch.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reach out, or check out our B8.5 A4 2.0T Exhaust System page on our website.

Performance Specialist
    AWE-Tuning.com > 1.888.565.2257
    my email > facebook > twitter > instagram > youtube

Veteran Member Four Rings o1turbo30v's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Cars, guns, nuts and bolts

Stasbon, I bought the single exit exhaust (didnt see the point in spending another $400 for the dual outlet), and the only drone I have with a 6MT is dead on at 1500 rpm, which really sucks when it first starts up (air injection), and driving around town in 6th gear at 45mph, other than that it sounds great and is super adjustable. Just give it about 800-1000 miles to "break in".
    Stage 1 more than you RS3

Veteran Member Four Rings dennisA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Zack, I'm just curious... why the drastic difference in price between the two dual outlet valence kits (s-line vs non s-line)?
    The price for the s-line seems kinda high for just that lower gray/honeycomb part.
    2014 A4 Prestige Quattro Tip
    Glacier White | S-Line Interior | Sport Package | Window Shades | 35% FormulaOne Tint | V1 Hardwired
    S4 Aluminum Pedals | 19x9.5 Avante Garde M590 | KW V1 Coilovers | AWE Dual Exhaust | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | Unitronic Stage 1+

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dennisA4 View Post
    Zack, I'm just curious... why the drastic difference in price between the two dual outlet valence kits (s-line vs non s-line)?
    The price for the s-line seems kinda high for just that lower gray/honeycomb part.
    The S-line rear valance is an OE valance, whereas the Non-S-line valance is a non-OE polyurethane part. The OE valance simply costs significantly more than the non-OE polyurethane valance.
    Performance Specialist

Veteran Member Four Rings dennisA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zack/AWE View Post
    The S-line rear valance is an OE valance, whereas the Non-S-line valance is a non-OE polyurethane part. The OE valance simply costs significantly more than the non-OE polyurethane valance.
    Ahhhh.... that darn OE tax. haha
    ok, thanks!
    2014 A4 Prestige Quattro Tip
    Glacier White | S-Line Interior | Sport Package | Window Shades | 35% FormulaOne Tint | V1 Hardwired
    S4 Aluminum Pedals | 19x9.5 Avante Garde M590 | KW V1 Coilovers | AWE Dual Exhaust | ECS Luft-Technik Intake | Unitronic Stage 1+

Veteran Member Three Rings Amorphic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 A4 2.0T Premium 6MT

Still no option for the B8.5 non s line to get quad tips. Sigh. Waiting and waiting.
    2015 Subaru WRX STi | Limited | Dark Grey Metallic | Sport Tech | Xpel Ultimate
    Sold -2013 Audi A4 2.0T | Premium | 6 MT | Brilliant Black | Xpel Ultimate | Tint: 35% Front 20% Rear

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    Still no option for the B8.5 non s line to get quad tips. Sigh. Waiting and waiting.
    Our B8 and B8.5 valances are being developed at the same time.
    Performance Specialist

Veteran Member Three Rings Amorphic's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 A4 2.0T Premium 6MT

102mm tip option too? Give us lowly A4 guys some love!
    2015 Subaru WRX STi | Limited | Dark Grey Metallic | Sport Tech | Xpel Ultimate
    Sold -2013 Audi A4 2.0T | Premium | 6 MT | Brilliant Black | Xpel Ultimate | Tint: 35% Front 20% Rear

AZ Member #

Zack, yes, I did, thanks! And found few more threads here with the detailed reviews made by owners of the exhaust, so now feel happy I've chosen the AWE and looking forward the installation!
    A4 B8.5 2013 2.0 quattro - Revo St.2 // Eurocode Rotamass lightweight pulley // aFe Power Pro Dry S // AWE quad outlet exhaust with AWE DP // Bilstein B6+H&R -35, H&R Swaybars // Rays Sportec Mono 10 Premium R19 // Interior & Exterior mods

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Zack/AWE View Post
    Our B8 and B8.5 valances are being developed at the same time.
    Zack, I was informed by your representative in Moscow that you do not have the quad exhaust valance for B8.5 non sline, is it correct? As I am on the edge of cutting mine OEM diffuser (do not want to change the bumper) and carbonizing it, so need to decide now how to proceed..

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Stasbon View Post
    Zack, I was informed by your representative in Moscow that you do not have the quad exhaust valance for B8.5 non sline, is it correct? As I am on the edge of cutting mine OEM diffuser (do not want to change the bumper) and carbonizing it, so need to decide now how to proceed..
    Stasbon,

That is correct. Currently, we do not have the quad-outlet rear valance for the non-S-line B8.5 A4 available. However, it's in the late stages of development, and should be released later this year.
    Performance Specialist

AZ Member #

Thank you, noted! Will post my rear look with custom valance and your quad exhaust soon